Happy birthday to the 'Mother' I would have easily chosen!!

Over 20 years ago I was suffering from a pretty serious bout of depression and anxiety so decided that it was high time to go and see a psychologist. I've never been happy to stay in the places I found myself, as awful at the time they were, so was willing to work on the things that would ultimately change the deep and dark places I found myself in.

I remember that day so vividly. It was just a small office and I ended up there because at the time I was in bible college and the vice principal was also a psychologist who worked part time at this particular office and the rest of the time at the school. Ironically I was studying counselling and the vice principal was one of my lecturers. He referred me to this counselling centre and I requested that I see a female psychologist.

I don't remember the date (I wish I did) but I was around 23 years old because that coincided with my time at bible college. I nervously waited but once I met the female psychologist, I was put at ease straight away. What I remembered so well that day was her warmth, the incredible blonde hair and stunning looks, her black skirt and white blouse and her Swedish accent. She put me at ease immediately with her bubbly and likable personality and little did I know that that day was going to begin an incredible life long connection that no blog can ever sum up just once.

I'm introducing Marie-Louise, not only because today is her birthday, but because she is one of the most significant people in my life and over time she'll come up over and over again. We continued a client-psychologist relationship for 2 years in which time I made great progress. She was very firm and no-nonsense which was exactly what I needed. I was quite a manipulative person back then and she was one of the few that could see right through my facade to the real hurt and issues underneath. I'd seen counsellors before who had helped me to no end so with Marie-Louise I was able to build on this and work hard through the issues that were holding me back.

Two years after we first met we ended our client - psychologist relationship and began a friendship that was going to take us to the other side of the world and back; through the most difficult times of her own life; through some of the hardest times of mine - and out the other end to have something that is stronger, more resilient and more beautiful than I could have ever imagined. I spent many weekends with her family and eventually we even shared a unit for a season. We've been to weddings (each other's); she was present at my first son's birth and drove for hours to visit my second son; we dog sat her precious Zoe for months while her and her husband traveled around Australia on a motorbike; we've laughed, cried and rejoiced together and she is often the very person I think of when I have something to share. We even share the same anniversary date and she and her husband are the Mormor (mother's mother) and Morfar (mother's father) to our boys. 

Marie-Louise was pivotal in me meeting my husband as they both share the same country - but that story I shall leave for tomorrow. :)

Distance has made things harder for us now. Her and her husband Graeme (whom we also love dearly) own an amazing bed and breakfast at a place called Bundanoon (2hrs this side of Sydney). You have to see this place to believe it and we have been fortunate enough to have a couple of holidays there. It's in the southern highlands and was voted in the top 10 hotels/bed and breakfasts in NSW and number 27th for the whole of Australia. They've put their heart and soul into it and it shows. If you are ever up near Bundanoon - be sure to drop in.



Bundanoon Lodge - Bundanoon NSW

I miss Marie-Louise a lot. We both live very busy lives but I love that relationship we have when we can go for weeks without talking, and then catch up in one foul swoop. I do wish we lived closer but at the same time I'm pretty lucky that I can go up there for a holiday when time permits (which isn't always easy or possible). There are times when Marie-Louise and her hubby have passed through our way as well. I always love that.

So today is Marie-Louise's birthday. I won't tell you her age because you wouldn't believe me anyway. She's as gorgeous today as she was when I first met her and although life hasn't always been easy, she's one of the strongest, wisest and most positive people I know. My only wish for today was that I was there to take her out for coffee because we are well overdue for a very long chat. But we will and I know that. Somewhere down the track we'll meet up again. 

Because love always leads you home.

Happy birthday Marie-Louise. You are without a doubt the mother I would have chosen had God given me the choice. And how blessed I am that even though I didn't get that choice, He led me to you anyway.

Forever in our hearts and always in our thoughts. xx


Marie-Louise and I on our last visit - January 2013.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts