This is about as simple as a birthday cake will ever get coming out of the Salmela Family Cakes kitchen! But when I spoke to my hubby, whose birthday we are celebrating, this was what he wanted. I could have tried anything (though being a Monday it was probably highly unlikely) and I at least had visions of making a big black forest cake. But no - all he wanted was a 'tiger' cake - or a marbled tea cake.

I had been given a Swedish sugar cake recipe a number of years ago but had lost it for a long time so you can imagine how happy I was to find it when we moved house. I put it somewhere safe and today was the day to get it out and whip it up. And that's what this cake is all about. It has very few ingredients, can be whipped up in 10 minutes and baked in 30. Of course I couldn't resist putting at least some decoration on the top, but really it needs none. It's a lovely cake - just a simple sugar cake which can be enjoyed at any morning or afternoon tea without too much of an effort.

Not that I wouldn't have gone to an effort. Just to clear that up!!

So here is my 'Sockerkaka' or 'Sugar Cake' for my Swedish husband. Thanks to Marie-Louise (also Swedish) for giving me the recipe which I now will keep in a very safe place.

Sockerkaka (Sugar Cake)

Ingredients:

3 eggs
200g sugar
50gr melted butter
50ml milk
200g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp cocoa

Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan forced.

Grease a spring form pan with melted butter and bread crumbs (this is what gives this cake a lovely crust).

Beat eggs and sugar together very well until light and fluffy. Add melted butter and milk and mix well. Add flour, baking powder and vanilla essence.

Take 1/3 of the mixture and add the sieved cocoa powder. Then marble plain, chocolate and then plain again. Swish around with a knife to get the marbled effect.

You can also mix in some diced/dried coconut if you like (but do this prior to marbelling).

Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Allow to cool on a cake rack.

I think it would be really yummy with some strawberries and cream!






Comments

  1. What a lovely looking cake! Happy Birthday to Marko!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beulah. Sometime the most simple are the best!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts