Busy busy....

I can't believe it's been 6 weeks since I last blogged. It's not that I don't want to and it's sure not because I don't have a lot in my head to get down. It's just the busyness of life that has me running from one event to the other has leaving me with little time to sit and write. And it's not how I want life to be, on the contrary I'm actually a much lower energy person that what people see. 

I get to every school holiday and I promise myself that I won't get myself worked up in a crazy lifestyle when the new term starts. And I don't.....for a week.....or maybe two. And then slowly but surely things start creeping into the diary. Kids have sport and appointments; I have my own appointments and medical things that need chasing up (which somehow occur more and more as we get older); my cake making which is becoming more of an adventure than I first thought; work and doing a few extra hours; cooking etc etc. Fitting somewhere in there one must have the energy to socialize, although if I can just sneak a few hours by myself I'm as happy as Larry. 


And housework? Now that has become a chore (excuse the pun). It often takes a backseat as I might only run in quick enough to grab a bite to eat and run out again. I'm too scared to have visitors - because that may mean they see less than perfection or maybe they'll have to step over the cats, the dog, the towels on the floor - just to get to the kitchen! But now I have an excuse - we've decided it's time to look for a bigger and better house. After 5 years here we have somehow outgrown it. The kitchen is old, the boys are bigger and it's cold. Way too cold for me. So time for an update.

But what a job!! And how do I pack boxes, sort through cupboards and do everything that needs to be done - in my schedule? How did our lives get to this? How is it that we face the week not knowing how we are going to get through and then fall in a heap on Friday night when we did? How is it that we have 4 events in one day meaning we spend more of our hours in the car than we do in our houses? 

No longer are my coffees in nice coffee cups, slipped slowly with friends - but a paper cup with a lid so I can take it on the run. I hardly ring people because that would take time sitting and having a conversation but instead send a text message running out the door - feeling good that I've at least 'touched base.' I say a quick 'hello how are you?' and hardly have time to stay long enough to hear the answer. My social interactions are based on where my sons need to be and being lucky to bump into my friends along the way. Soccer matches, birthday parties, social groups, movies, pediatric appointments are my weeks which turn into months. 

There are days I feel like I'm missing the important things - you. Those reading this, my friends, my family. So I churn out a quick blog so you know I'm still around and I still care. I just can't seem to slow down long enough to really see how people are. I have to rely on social media to give me a clue, knowing it never can because people can't be completely honest there. I just have to hope that when I do get a 'how are you' in there you'll let me know. Because I want to. I really do.

I know this is a phase of my life I simply have to see through. I also know that one day I'll look back and wish I was back here - running my children around and helping them to experience life. One day I'll have a quiet house with no blaring music or TV, no towels on the floor, no dishes in the sink, money in the bank and no-one to climb into my bed at night.

And I'll want to be right back where I am.

So as crazy as things might be - I'm right where I need to be. And if I can sneak a quick coffee with you, or I send you a text message or touch base with you via blog or facebook - I care. It means I found a few minutes to think of you and to tell you that I haven't forgotten you. And I'll keep doing that until one day this is all gone - and then we can sit back together and reminisce. We'll talk about these times. We'll yearn to be back here.

So I shall enjoy it while I am here. Yes, even in the busyiness of life. Even those nights I fall into bed totally exhausted, knowing I have to get up early to do it all over again tomorrow. I shall make up my mind. I shall enjoy it. 


Comments

  1. My life has become crazy too, although not as busy as your's! Blogging regularly has made it more chaotic! But I should learn from you, I don't even make an attempt to socialize and I don't even 'touch base' with my friends. I learn something from each of your posts! Bless you Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Beulah - even if it's just a text, a quick hello on FB or a coffee on your travels - it's very important to stay connected during these years where we are incredibly busy. We don't want to wake up one day when our kids are gone and find ourselves alone. I know it's hard, I find it hard too. But try if you can to find that little extra few minutes to stay connected to people who will walk your journey. I'm so happy I am one of them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts