Fires, smoke, ash and more smoke.

Ten days ago Marko and I had to go to Melbourne to attend the State Conference for Inc (International Network of Churches). On the Friday night they have a commission service where they set apart pastors for the work of the ministry. We went last year as it was our turn, but this time it was our Moe pastors who were being set aside. We headed off in good time but as we were leaving our driveway we noticed a fire which seemed not to far off. We commented, stopped and had a look but didn't think too much of it until we got to the highway. 

The first hint of the Herne's Oak fire.

As we approached the fire we realized that it had the potential to be bigger than we thought. We saw the first fire truck on scene and soon heard the sounds of police sirens as they came to block the highway. We prayed we would get through, and thankfully we did. We were a little nervous when in Melbourne, not really sure whether we would get home. I'd left the boys with a friend and I knew that if I couldn't get home it would cause anxiety in one of my boys even though I knew they were safe and well looked after.


We got home via Yallourn North and I must admit, we didn't really give it much of a thought although we did hear that it had jumped the highway. We hadn't heard much more so figured that they got it under control. On Saturday we had a wedding near Mirboo Nth and although the highway was still closed, it didn't effect our travels. Sunday was a normal day and after a huge weekend I was happy to head for a much needed lay down after church. I think I'd been asleep for 1/2 an hour when sirens and overhead choppers woke me and it was soon apparent that something was going on. I got up and looked out the front and what I saw made me draw in my breath! Smoke was billowing in the distance and half the cars in Morwell had stopped on our street to take a look (we live on a main road with empty paddocks opposite us).


The scene that was outside our house.
Bringing in the diggers.
All afternoon we had fire trucks, diggers and water bombers going past us. It was slightly nerve wracking although I was pretty sure that we would be safe with no need to evacuate.




Many many fire trucks were deployed.
Fire down at Latrobe/Old Melbourne Rd.



People were stopping left right and centre to have a good look at the fires. Some of the cars were people who were evacuated from surrounding properties. We had a visit from a friend who came to help if we needed it and it was very much appreciated.








Sunday ended up quite a long day but I was sufficiently convinced that we were in a fairly safe area and would not need to evacuate. My 11 year old son thought it was the most exciting thing he has lived through and spend the day outside watching the goings on. He had front row seats as we have a fire main out the front of our place where the trucks came to fill up. My 9 year old was completely opposite and refused to come out of his room most of the day. He completely shut off from the world and didn't eat for 24 hours. This is one reason why I down played the events to him because I could not afford for him to become agitated or scared. Evacuating is traumatic enough for children, but for a child with Aspergers I knew it had to be the very last resort. We had offers of friends to take the boys but Elijah wasn't going to leave the house unless we did. So we stayed put and thankfully we were fine, as were our animals.

By the next day the fires were fairly well contained and people could breath a sigh of relief. Or could they? One of the fires that took hold was in the old section of the coal mine and although I don't know much about coal, I do know that it burns very slowly and is difficult to put out. The mine is right on the outskirts of Morwell, about a kilometre away, so it wasn't long before the smoke became a problem. The weather was still warm and the winds were still. In some ways it was a catch 22. The winds were problematic as it fueled the fire, but without it the smoke had nowhere to go. Unfortunately in a matter of days, the town was covered in thick reeking smoke. To top it off, on the following Saturday we received a text from the CFA to say that dangerous levels of carbon monoxide had been detected and we were ordered to stay inside, shut all doors and turn off air conditioners. The threat only lasted a few hours but it was enough to have the residents of Morwell up in arms about how safe it was to remain in the town.

Since Saturday our town has been inundated with smoke. Everywhere we go there is ash, smoke and more smoke. The fire in the mine is going to take a long time to be put out. It's hard not to complain. The smoke is so unpredictable. One minute it's clear with blue skies and 20 minutes later we can be completely engulfed in smoke. There are times when it's hard to breathe. I've been off all my asthma medications since Christmas but this has pushed me to the edge. Two nights ago the hospital seemed like a good place to be, and I normally avoid it at all costs. But I've managed because it's something we all have to do. And headaches!! I haven't had headaches like this for years - and many people are suffering. Oh yes we have been told to leave and have a break if we can, but where can we go? We have jobs, schools, commitments and animals. I wish it was that simple. Some people are sending their kids to relatives but I don't have that option. Not because I don't have relatives that would take them, but because I have children who won't go without us. It would be enough to tip my already emotional 9 year old over the edge.


Our eerie ghost town, clouded in smoke.

The smoke is worse in the west of our town.
We at least have it a little easier where we live.

So somehow we all battle on. We are all in the same boat, breathing in toxins, ash and smoke. We don't know when it will end but we hope very soon. Everyone is doing the best they can. Schools are keeping kids inside and air-conditioners off. Thank goodness we don't have the extreme heat. We are on alert for increasing levels of carbon monoxide, but we are prepared to stay inside if we need to. In fact, staying inside is the safest thing we can do.

All we can do is pray that this does not affect our long term health. We will get through this. Small towns are a resilient bunch. We soldier on, we talk at the checkout and we complain a lot. But we figure we have a right to. Many people are blaming the government, the CFA, the media. But the reality is they are just as unsure as we are. It's funny that the one person I haven't heard being blamed at the moment is the person who lit the original fire. That little fire we saw out of our driveway. That little fire that we drove past on the freeway. That little fire which has caused such huge problems!!


That little fire which caused major problems.

The blackened highway.


I'm not a fan of rain. I hate the cold and for me that means anything under 25 degrees. But for the first time in many years I welcome it. It rained today and I got wet. I didn't complain. I've complained enough this last week. Sadly the rain wasn't enough and made the smoke so much worse. But I'm still praying for rain, drenching, cleansing, soul refreshing rain. By gee this town needs it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts