Coffee, Tablet and 4 entertained boys.

I think I've found my little spot today. My 9 and 11 year olds have a friend each staying the night and I'm always on the lookout to take them somewhere to keep them entertained at least for a few hours. The skating rink in the next town to us is a perfect place for boys to get out from behind a computer screen and expend some energy, drink soft drink (why is it called soft?), and eat lollies (perhaps not so clever when they are all sleeping at my place). It's also the perfect spot for me to do the exact opposite. My days of getting on any kind of roller skates are long gone and the only purpose it would serve would be for entertainment purposes. And it wouldn't be mine!!!

So instead I perch myself at a table, grab an average coffee (hey it's coffee), pair my tablet with my iPhone for Internet access (oh aren't I clever?) and blog. Oh and the boys just pointed out that there is a TV right beside me so I can watch Radwanska finish Azarenka off. Could my day get better? Disappointing that this place closes at 4pm!


Our long summer holidays will come to an end this weekend and as usual they have flown by. I expected that, it happens every year. I start the holidays wondering how I'll ever cope when they end, and then I'm happy when they do! I love having my kids around though I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy a few hours of alone time. You'll get to know my days with my kids; I have pre-teen tantrumming days where I swear grey hairs appear before my very eyes; I have Asperger days which leave me laughing or crying hysterically; and I have the in-between days. You may call them 'normal days' however that term hardly exists in my world. Not sure if I really want it to. I suspect it could be a tad too boring for me!


Gee what have I done these holidays? A great deal of not much and a little bit of nothing.  And for those who know me would know that this is somewhat out of character for me. Truth is I got myself way over exhausted by the end of last year and I knew I needed some recoup time. Mind you, I enjoyed every minute of being busy and had awesome opportunities, but it was also a very emotional year. Although I've all but convinced myself I'm super human - I have glimpses when I realize I am not. Well maybe not glimpses - it's usually when I run smack bang into a wall that the super falls off and I'm left with just human. You know the feeling?

I didn't get to the places I usually like to go for the holidays - Bundanoon and Horsham. Mormor and Morfar live in Bundanoon - a beautiful place right in the Southern Highlands 2 hrs this side of Sydney. Marie-Louise and Graeme (my boys adopted grandparents) own a magnificent B&B up there called Bundanoon Lodge. Be sure to look it up should you head that way - it's about a 9 hour trip up the coast road through Cann River. You won't be disappointed. My other favourite place is Horsham - a town virtually smack bang in the middle of nowhere - on the way to Mildura and a 5 hour easy car ride from here. I first started visiting Horsham when I was 19 and consider my friends up there as family. 'Nanny Jo' and I have a friendship that spans a couple of decades. We may only catch up once a year - but it's like I saw her yesterday. Marie-Louise and I are like that too. We go way back and would take a book to write about our shared experiences. It was due to her that I met my Swedish husband - well in a roundabout way. And in case you haven't twigged by her name - she is also Swedish. But I'll get to the story about how I met my husband and how we fell in love - thousands of miles apart and a whole different culture between us. I figure Sunday might be a good day to write about that as we will celebrate 12 years of marriage.


I think it's time to wrap this up. Typing on my tablet is slowing me down. I'm a typist and type over 100 words per minute (now you know how I can reply so quickly).  Besides it's almost 4pm and time to leave my little spot. No doubt I'll lose the boys to the computer screens and x boxes when we get home! Doesn't bother me - I hardly know they are there!!

Besides Federer and Murray are playing. Yes I guess the day did just get better.

Comments

Popular Posts