I don't care.

The world was rocked recently with the news that a lone gunman, in the name of some screwed up hateful religion or life experience, walked into a gay bar and opened fire.

I've sat back and watched social media have their say and I've both been saddened, shocked and disappointed in the many reactions people have had to this event.

So this is mine. 

I don't care.

I don't care if you are black or white, red or blue. I don't care if you are gay, asexual , bisexual, heterosexual or a mixture of all of them. I don't care if you are Baptist, Anglican, Church of England, Born again Christian, Atheist, Agnostic, Seventh Day Adventist, Islamic, Buddhist - or whatever other religion you can think of (there are hundreds more). I don't care if you are short, tall, fat, skinny, red-head, brunette, grey head, black head, hairy, bald or otherwise. I don't care if you are an introvert, extrovert, social misfit, schizophrenic, bi-polar, autistic, neurotypical and the like. I don't care if you've had a horrid upbringing, a loving family, a fractured life or was born with a silver spoon in your mouth.

Nobody. And I mean NO BODY, regardless of what you say you are - has a right to walk into any kind of bar, cinema or public place - and open fire with the intent of taking human life. Nobody.

And it pains me greatly that any human being on this planet thinks they have a right to take human lives because they are hurting. Because they are following some awful religion which calls for revenge or the death of those who do not share the same belief. 

Let's all get this clear. We don't all share the same belief and that's our prerogative. Sure, wouldn't we love it if we did? I'm a Pastor of a Church - so wouldn't I love for you all to believe that God sent His son Jesus to die for us to save us from this cruel and evil world we live in? Sure I would - it's kind of my life's mission.

However, never ever should that give me permission to take someone's life, simply because they choose not to believe. That's their decision and their right to make that decision. It doesn't mean we can't be friends, respect each other and treasure what each of us have to offer the other. Some of the nicest people I know don't share the same belief's as me, and some of the not so nicest I know, do!!!

But I tell you - what made me madder than hell over this issue was reading an article where a Christian Pastor said that the people who died in the gay bar deserved it.

Please please, don't ever think that one man's screwed up, judgmental and religious idea is a reflection of the wider Christian community. It is not. And we all know people like it. People who do nothing more than quote scripture at you because somehow they think that will bring you to a place of belief. I find these people to be more self-righteous than their non-believing counterparts!! And often I find that they are actually hiding behind 'religion' to cover up a myriad of their own issues and screw-ups. (There is a difference between being 'religious' and being a 'believer.' I'll explain that another day!!).

The God that I represent loved those people in that gay bar to the same extent that He loves you and me. And because of His love for all mankind, He would have grieved in the same way many others did. I won't lie and pretend I agree with everything the world does, and nor do you. I'm certainly not here to debate my position on homosexuality in any way because ultimately, I'm sold out to love all people and to introduce people to Christ regardless of their bend.

The people in that bar were husbands, wives, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters. They were people who were loved, cherished and had their whole lives ahead of them to make their life choices in the same way that we can. 

So I don't care what you think Mr Christian nice guy. These people no more deserved to die that day than you do. Those people were loved by God to the same extent He loves you. And I have no doubt that these people were a darned less judgmental than you and I'm sad that there are people like you in this world representing Jesus Christ. I bet even He cringed at your hateful words. And there we simply have another reinforcement that us Christians are just a bunch of high and mighty, self-righteous humans running around pretending to be better than anyone else.

Yet we aren't. We are human too. We've made mistakes and continue to do so. I've learnt a lot in my travels and I've made judgments I should never have made. I've learnt, I've grown and although I maintain my own position and belief systems, above all I've laid down some of my own prejudices and judgments.

I care. I care deeply. I care deeply for those who lost their lives at the hands of that evil, selfish and twisted person. I care for people in general, for those who have lost their loved ones and those who's lives have been cut short. 

I pray we always love and care about others, simply because they are our fellow humans. I pray that we care enough to continue to stand against evil and injustice. I pray that above all we continue to love each other. If we all do our little bit, then I do believe we can make this place a lot less harsh and painful place to live in.

I don't care what you are, I care who you are.

Comments

Popular Posts