Apricot Rose Cake

Most people know I am an amateur cake decorator. I love to cook, bake and decorate cakes and there is so much to learn. I only started at the beginning of this year and have already had the opportunity to learn new techniques and perfect old ones. There is so much to learn when it comes to cake decorating and I am a long way off. But every now and then I do a cake that even I am exceptionally proud of and have a need to show it off.

This cake was one of those. I do have a Facebook site for my cakes, called The Salmela Family Cakes, but it is limited to those who are on Facebook. But this cake I thought worthy of sharing, so sharing I am. I have also included the write up I did for this cake.


Apricot Rose Cake - October 11, 2014. Taken from The Salmela Family Cakes.

Very good friends of ours are celebrating their wedding anniversary this weekend and I was delighted to be able to do a cake for them. The husband surprised his wife and did a good job hiding it from her, even having to drag her out of bed when I showed up with the surprise this morning (poor thing, she is a nurse and is on shift).

The only instruction I had was to have apricot roses and imagine my delight when his wife said they were the exact color of the roses she had on her dress in her bouquet of flowers from her wedding day! I have been wanting to try a new design for the sides of the cake, called quilting, and I was also delighted with the look. I did this by hand however you can buy a tool which I will track down over the next week or two. It just adds a new dimension to the cake as I am often looking for ways to 'dress' up the sides.

I wanted more than anything to keep this cake simple yet elegant and show my appreciation of our friendship with this couple. It was also such a privilege to be part of a surprise in the husband showing his love and appreciate towards the woman he has been married to for a long time!

Happy Anniversary - marriage is always to be celebrated! And what better way to celebrate than with cake.

This cake is a vanilla cake with butter milk in it, layered with a sugar syrup and vanilla butter cream.








Comments

Popular Posts